Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Days 5 & 6--WA in my Rearview Mirror

After a wonderful day off with Betsy, I left Spokane with the team on Saturday morning for Sandpoint, ID. About 2 miles out on US-2, the flat-tire demon visited my bike for the first time on the trip. Fortunately it was not a major problem and I was soon back on the road. The ride along US-2 was forested and rolling, with a nice, wide shoulder. We hit the last town in Washington around lunch time--Newport, WA. A group of us found this wonderful old general store/deli/soda fountain called Owens'. After another tasty turkey sandwich and incredible mocha shake, we were on our way. The shake provided much needed rocket fuel (or maybe it was the two shots of espresso in it) for the second half of the day. We crossed the border into Idaho (picture) and continued the beautiful ride into Sandpoint. Sandpoint High School was our home for the night, capping a ride that day of 76.8 miles.

[Technical note: Head tilting needed. I haven't been able to rotate photos I've taken in vertical format through the "Blogspot" site. Please bear with me for the next couple of posts with photos taken in the vertical mode (e.g. the state line photo in this and the next posting)--I will be sticking to horizontal photos for posts in the future. Thanks, MM]

More later,

Marty

No comments: