Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Training Continues--& Techno Bike Facts





The training continues. On June 13, I passed my 2007 goal of 1,500 training miles before the "Big Ride" begins on June 25--just completed an enjoyable (flat) 65-mile ride with fellow Big-Rider (and Bainbridge neighbor) Andy Kosick from Downtown Seattle to Marymoor Park in Redmond via the Burke-Gilman & Sammamish River Trails. We dined at the Marymoor Park Subway, then moseyed on down to the Red Hook Brewery for some very important liquid carbo-loading--critical training fuel!

In a recent blog comment, one reader asked if I could provide a rundown on my bicycle and equipment for the "technogeeks" among my supporters. Well, for starters I get chainrings and cassettes mixed up, and don't know much difference between a bottom bracket and a headset--but here goes.

First, my bike (the black and white one) is pictured leaning against the picnic table above. It is a Raleigh Cadent 3.0 that I received in a trade for my income tax refund check last year. The link below will give you the basic specs on the bike at the time of purchase last year.

This spring, I have added some major bike upgrades for the Big Ride, including: a new cassette (the one on the rear wheel?) with a 32-tooth "granny" gear--mountain bike gearing for those long, steep climbs. I've ridden with it for about 400 miles now. It's like spinning in heaven on steep hills--real knee savers. I also upgraded the stock brakes to Shimano 105's. I figured stopping well may come in handy every once in a while. I also put on some new, heavier-duty wheels (Velocity), as well as some beefier tires (Rubino Pro Tech Kevlar), for those rough, debris-strewn roads out there in rural (and urban) America. A special note of appreciation to Tom Clune and his team at the Bainbridge Island Cycle Shop (BI-Cycle). Fortunately for me, they really know what they are doing and have been a major supporter of mine in helping me getting the bike ready.

Well that's about as bike-geeky as I can get. Oh yes, I have two water bottle holders designed by Floyd Landis. It's billed as providing that "special ummph" when you need it, with a money-back guarantee if you don't pass the drug test.

As mentioned in my most recent posting, my next (and last) major training effort before "the Ride" is this coming weekend--the Flying Wheels Summer Century in Redmond, WA.

On the fundraising side, I just surpassed $10,000 in pledges thanks to you, my fantastic sponsors!!! Your very generous contributions to ALAW will continue to advance lung health and clean air in the Northwest and across the nation. Thank you, thank you.

For those who would like to be a sponsor, it is still not too late--just click on the link below.

Thanks for checking in. I will continue to keep you posted. Till later,
Marty


1 comment:

dcressell said...

Happy Father's Day. Glad all is going well. Are you having a departure party? Diane