Monday, June 4, 2007

Welcome to the First Post: Training...What a concept!



























































To my dear family and friends--sponsors, supporters, and curious web surfers who stumbled on to this page by mistake,

This is the first official posting of "Marty's Ride Across America" Blog. My modest attempt at periodic, irregular reports from the front, as the American Lung Association of Washington (ALAW) "Big Ride" Team travels by bicycle from Seattle to Washington, DC. We will leave Seattle June 25 (less than three weeks from today), and, 3,300 miles and 48 days later, arrive in DC.

I've learned from past long bike riding efforts that good training is not only useful in achieving challenging physical goals--it also preempts alot of pain that is otherwise experienced as a result of my usual magical thinking. Being the pain-averse person that I am, I have logged over 1,400 miles since declaring my insanity in January. About 66% of my miles have been around Bainbridge Island on both an organized ride (the Chilly Hilly) and my own solo disorganized jaunts. The remainder have been a combination of solo rides around Central Puget Sound and Whatcom County, and a variety of organized events such as the McClinchy Mile (Arlington/Granite Falls, WA); Yakima Ridges (Yakima, WA); Ride Around Clark County (Vancouver, WA); Olympic Cycling Classic (Port Angeles/Sequim, WA); and the 7 Hills of Kirkland (Kirkland/Redmond, WA).

Climatic conditions have ranged from snow and freezing rain in the mid 30's to sunny and warm in the mid 80's. Terrain has been flat, hilly, and in between.

All in all, I am energized and ready (I will soon find out how "ready" I am) for the ride's start on June 25! I plan to update this blog as frequently as I can. Please check it about once a week (but don't get discouraged if it hasn't changed since the last time you checked--I may have been chased off course by a confused buffalo in Wyoming--and need a few days to get back into stride). I will also try to send a group e-mail alert when there is an update to the blog.

Many thanks to all of you for your tremendous outpouring of support and encouragement (both moral and financial)--that will keep me going toward the finish line on those days when my recurring mantra will be "what the hell was I thinking?" More importantly, you are supporting the great work of ALAW for clean air and lung health for all of us.
For those of you who would still like to be a sponsor, it's not too late. Please click on the link below and follow the easy steps.



Thanks for stopping by. More later....


Marty

3 comments:

CuzKen said...

Atta boy Marty!!!! Good luck and smooth roads! We're all behind you trying to push you along....

Unknown said...

Can't wait to hear of your roaring success on the byways of America! See you in DC!

John said...

Way to go Marty! I wish I was doing it with you. I will be following you on your web site. I would love to see you sometime. I heard you were up here at WTA but I missed you. I'm a Sup now. Maybe I will be able to see you off. Be safe out there. Your Friend, John